Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm a Radioactive Ghost. Super power(s) TBD.

Best Blog Tips
It just doesn't feel real, it's as if I'm going to someone else's appointments. But yet I know all to well it's me whom those appointments are for. 

Over the past week a line from a Springsteen song rolls around in my head. 

Now all them things that seemed so important
Well mister they vanished right into the air

Before THE CALL I thought I truly couldn't care any less about reality television and celebrity gossip. However, as it turns I could and do care infinity less. So with things that do matter, like conversations (aka difference of opinions) with Faith about this and that were so important are now incredibly trivial. Really having / being a happy and healthy family trumps all. 

This morning my oncologist's office called for me to get more blood work today, before my injection for the bone scan. To get there in time Myrtle was woken up (happy) from her nap and off to the clinic we went.
With time to spare we arrived at the Royal Jubilee Hospital for the bone scan injection. I was informed that after my injection I could not cuddle, hold or kiss Myrtle for 24 hrs due to being radioactive.  First realizing I couldn't carry her around due to the crutches was deflating enough and then learning I can't hold her was and is beyond disappointing.  I'm her daddy, it felt like my life's biggest role was stolen. Even though it's "just" 24 hours, it's 24 hours too long to be on the sidelines.

Our little family was about 70+ years younger then the other patients in the waiting room. Myrtle easily provided the entertainment engaging the geriatrics with her smiles and walking with my crutches.
Myrtle entertaining the troops.
While Myrtle enthralled crowd I got a radioactive shot by a nice guy named Chris. Below is a video of that and if you turn up your speakers loud he does a great job explaining things.

After the injection we went for a drive to Cordova Bay for lunch at Café Yucatan. It was nice to have a change of scenery and see the friendly faces of Murray, Dave and Justin there. Our friend Shantel happened to pop in during her lunch break.
Café Yucatan's "Norm"
We came back the RJH for my bone scan. We arrived early and they took me in early too. The staff, not sure their titles, were excellent and gracious enough to take several photos for me.

Michael Jackson had one of these right? 

They taped up my feet to keep them still.
Tonight we had dinner at my folks. It was nice to not have to worry about a meal and since I can't play with Myrtle Grandpa and Grandma filled in. I felt like a ghost not getting in the mix and just watching. 

Tomorrow Myrtle is being smothered with hugs and kisses. 

4 comments:

  1. Your gracious staff were Kelly (tall) and Noreen (not so tall)
    We wish you well on your journey.
    with blessings,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AnonymousThank you so much Kelly and Noreen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with you and your entire family as you proceed through this journey Ruban. Love Debbie and Ken Ritchie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certain you have given many snuggles and kisses to Myrtle to last a life time ! ;) But, I can understand how hard it is not to hold or be with someone you love.
    Since you got that radioactive shot, have you noticed anything different/ Like X-ray vision, or super strength?
    I love the picture of you and Myrtle with the crutches :)

    ReplyDelete