Monday, March 7, 2011

"I'm glad that at least you don't have an unhip tumor -- that would be hard on your reputation." - Tanya, my cousin.

Best Blog Tips
Laughter
It feels good that at least one person picked up on the pun in my blogs title.  Even better that it was family.


I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen


Attempting humour has been something most of my family does. It's great to give a heavy situation some levity or give a dull day some chuckles.


Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.  ~Jack Handey, "Deep Thoughts,"Saturday Night Live


All I think about is that the tumor the is the size of a kiwi.


Yesterday my nephew Kirtland (12 yrs old) was sitting beside me at church. Other then the hugs he gave me, nothing was said yet between us about my tumor. "So Kirtland the doctor said the tumor is size of a kiwi or a small orange. I have swallowed a few orange seeds...." Kirtland smiles and says "And you can't help but eat kiwi seeds..." We're both smiling now and I continue "Yeah, I'm thinking an actual kiwi must be growing there and it's probably just ripe by now." We had a good laugh.


My family had a pleasant lunch at my parents. After lunch they gave us a bag of kiwis, saying they bought too much.


This morning Faith made me a kiwi smoothie, seeds and all.


Crutches
Apparently my hip bone is a little weak and when I got THE CALL my doctor said I needed to use crutches while I am out and about to not fracture anything.  That means I can't carry Myrtle around and wow that was a blow. But I sure get a laugh at Myrtle as she watches me using the crutches. She looks at me as if to say "Daddy, what on earth are you doing?!!"


I do walk sans crutches around the house though. 


Good thoughts, Prayers, Fasting
What does that even mean? Does God pay more attention to me because of prayers? Do prayers work? All I can say is yes, some how my burden was lifted. 


I had a fantastic day yesterday and today I feel great. I felt, really felt support and love from my "brothers and sisters" at church, somehow I felt more like a son while having lunch at my parents. Afterwards we shared the evening and a tasty meal at Mori and Marnie's and felt at home. I was able to enjoy my self with family and friends without being preoccupied with "there's a tumor the size of kiwi on my hip". I felt comforted, relaxed, loved and at peace. 


Yes prayers worked and are working. I don't know why and how come, but they did and do.  I also had the best sleep since THE CALL, woke up feeling refreshed physically and mentally. Even found it funny starting the day with a kiwi smoothie.


Myrtle holding a kiwi while napping.

5 comments:

  1. Nice post Ruban, I'm so glad you felt better yesterday. I don't really know how it works (prayer and fasting) either but I'm so glad you could feel it.

    Also I totally picked up on the humor! I love your blog title! Chris and I had a good chuckle over it. It is so totally you to joke like that and I'm sure being able to laugh will help keep your body strong.

    Have you tried dried kiwi? I hear it's really good.

    Thanks for blogging this Ruban. We'll keep following along your journey and have you in our thoughts.

    One last thing (I know this is getting long!) The boys are really good at remembering to pray for people. They are very interested in the lump by your hip and have been asking Heavenly Father all on their own to 'shrink it or snip it out' so that you can be okay.

    love,
    from all of us

    ReplyDelete
  2. gotta love Jack Handy...cracked me up

    ReplyDelete
  3. @young mother hubbardKnowing we're prayed for by angels is about as comforting as it gets. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe Myrtle magically reached in and pulled out the tumor with her bare hands !

    ReplyDelete